Click to rate
TERA or The Exiled Realm of Arborea is a third person Korean MMORPG game which is also a free-to-play title.
TERA is just a typical Korean MMORPG game, with quest, crafting and PVP modes. Combat of the game happens in real-time, with element of dodging the enemy attacks. There are 13 different classes in TERA since the October 2017 patch.
The game has its own currency called Chronoscrolls which lets players to buy various things in the game with real money, but this currency is only available for those who purchased the game either physically or digitally.
The plot of TERA is about two titan beings Arun and Shara who met each other in a formless void where they fell asleep and began to dream. The Exiled Realm of Arborea began to manifest itself as they slept. Now both of their bodies form the two continents from witch the Exiled Realms of Arborea is made of. Everything what happens in the world of TERA is a manifestation of Arun and Shara dreams.
System requirements for Xbox One
System requirements for PC
- OS: Windows® 7 (32-bit)
- Processor: Intel i3 2130 / AMD FX 4130
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce 9800 GT / Radeon HD 3870
- DirectX®: 9
- Hard Drive: 45 GB HD space
- Network: Broadband internet connection
- OS:Windows® 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (64-bit)
- Processor: Intel i5 3570 / AMD FX 6350
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce GTS 450 / Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
- DirectX®: 9
- Hard Drive: 55 GB HD space
- Network: Broadband internet connection
System requirements for PlayStation 4
TERA reviews and comments
Damn, now I kind of miss this game. It sure was fun to chill about in TERA, the grind never was 'too much' and while I didn't really appreciate it back then, TERA had some SOUL. I think it was a good game.
Microsoft from Deutsch
Before I start with the review I will give you some background on the game that you may or may not know.
The name „TERA“ is short for „The Exiled Realm of Arborea“. TERA is a MMORPG developed by Bluehole Studio. The game was released in South Korea on 25th January 2011, in North America on 1st May 2012, and in Europe on the 3rd May 2012. NHN Corporation, En Masse Entertainment and Gameforge publishes the game in these regions. In February 2013 the game was renamed to TERA: Rising and turned to free-to-play model.
In September 2014, the game was renamed to TERA: Fate of Arun in the same patch that added a new level cap and expanded TERA's horizons with the new continent in Northern Arun called Val Oriyn. Game runs on „Unreal Engine 3“ , and it's available on Windows PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
The two beings, Arun and Shara, titans of unimaginable power, met in a formless void. Somehow, Arun and Shara fell asleep and began to dream. As they slept, the Exiled Realm of Arborea began to manifest itself around them. Continents in Tera are made from their bodies.
As both titans continued to sleep, their dreams came to life. Out of this dream, the first twelve god-like inhabitants of TERA emerged not long before a terrible war amongst them took place.
Yet, Arun and Shara remained in their dream-like state and simply out of their imagination, the first mortals came to life. The mortals and gods fought each other in great divine wars, leaving most of the gods dead, imprisoned, or diminished. Even some mortal species got wiped out; however, others emerged and today, most of TERA's races form an alliance and together they fight evil beyond their world .
Like every other MMORPG, TERA features questing, crafting, PvE and PvP. Player controls his character from third-person camera view. Player always tracks the enemy with cursor in middle of UI and as long as that cursor is directed towards the enemy, player will cast his skills in order to defeat it. According to „mmorpg.com“ Tera Online has an overall raiting of 7.7 .
Let's start with the Review!
Tera Online in 2018 still has a lot of active daily players! Which means getting a party for your favorite dungeons isn't hard, if you are on good server! TERA NA, EU as well as other regions have their own servers that you can join. Those server are usually divided to PvP and PvE, at the moment PvP servers in Tera NA and Tera EU are most populated ones.
If you prefer PvE over PvP, you will still benefit more by joining PvP server than a PvE server, that is because PvP servers are more populated than PvE ones.
However you should know that you can be ganged up by other players on PvP server, and on a PvE you can not. Cities, camps and other gathering places are usually safe zones, so you can always get to the safe place if you are being attacked by someone. However if you don't want to be interrupted by something like that, you can start on the PvE server.
Now let's get to answering the most common questions asked by old and new players!
1. What are the pros and cons of Tera Online in 2018?
- Combat system is very fast paced, what makes Tera very fun.
- Learning how the game works, is very easy!
- Every class has it's own skill rotation that you have to learn in order to deliver decent DPS! Tanks and Healers are bit different.
- Game graphics is very nice
- Quests are not too long or too short, and experience points are obtained fairly easy, and because of it, you can hit level cap very fast.
- Leveling isn't too boring for new players, since you get to try out new dungeons every time your level increases by 3 or 4.
- While leveling BAMS are way too easy to kill.
- Getting to level cap is way too easy, which reduces the feeling of success from reaching the level cap.
- Some classes are race and gender locked!
- After some time, TERA becomes too boring since you run out of stuff to do. You find yourself doing same dungeons, same daily quests from day to day. However this will not affect you a lot if you are a member of a very active guild! Which will make the game much more interesting!
- Game optimization is a chaos, even if you own a high end PC, you will still experience huge FPS drops.
- Ping is terrible as well. As a matter of fact, It's so terrible that players developed 3rd party program to run with TERA to help them reduce ping issues in game, which led to a lot of problems between publishers and players. If you are in Europe and you play on North American server, you will most likely always be laging, and you might find yourself searching for this program, which you should not do! Whoever uses this 3rd party program can be easily banned by publisher, and they will not be able to play any longer.
So what should you do? Well if you are from Europe you should play on Tera EU, and not Tera NA! Basically play in the region that is the closest to you!
2. Is TERA P2W in 2018 ?
Short answer, No!
Long answer: Like every other game, TERA has it's own store, from which you can buy potions, costumes, mounts etc. Which you can sell for in game currency, and later use that currency to buy gear etc. Well it's doable! But people still don't do it. So that’s why Tera Online is not p2w in 2018.
3. How hard is it for a new player or a returning player to get to end game content?
Well if you play few hours a day, every day, while using use Elite status and multiple characters to farm materials for enchanting the gear, you will be able to participate in end game content in 20 days since you started.
4. How much does it help you if you join an active guild? It helps a lot!
You want to run a dungeon and for that you need a party. To get a party you need to use Instance matching or LFG, which can take up to an hour sometimes, but if you are a part of active guild, you can get the party much much faster, which will result in smoother, faster and much more enjoyable dungeon run. Plus playing MMORPG alone without a guild or friends, is very boring.
5. What is more important Skill or Gear?
Now for this question, I contacted few of my friends, and they all answered „Skill“, and I agree with them on that, since having the best gear and not knowing what you should do, will just get you killed, and kicked from party. It's better to have Skill and mid-tier gear set than little skill and the best gear.
6. Is TERA Online worth playing in 2018?
Yes it is! Community is great, you can meet awesome people from all over the world, and play with them. Right now TERA is very active and has a lot of players playing it. Not too long ago, new update came to TERA that added more skills to certain classes, which made old players return with will to test out their old characters.
The best thing about Tera is it's Combat system, once you try it, you will understand why is Tera one of the best MMORPGs out there !
You can watch the video review here: https://goo.gl/CPfkc3