Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Carefully constructed horror game relies on positioning, camera work, and shocking content. But Amnesia: The Dark Descent adds psychological elements to it. Players control the young man named Daniel, who wakes up in a seemingly empty castle, alone and with a massive memory loss. Through environmental storytelling, notes, audio logs and even visions, players are invited to uncover the deep-rooted secrets of the castle.
Throughout the game players will be introduced to the mechanics of Sanity, representing the mental state of Daniel which can be affected by lack of light, visions and even unpleasant encounters with the monsters. When decreased, Sanity will distort the vision of the player to a different and seemingly random effect, in order to depict actual effects of severe anxiety. Most of the game challenges are completed through the item search and physics puzzles, forcing players to be resourceful and courageous.
The game supports modding, and allows user-created content alongside the free DLC Justine, telling a story of a female prisoner. Given how short the DLC story is - several possible endings are available.
System requirements for PC
- OS: Windows XP/Vista/7
- Processor: 2.0Ghz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed
- Memory: 2 GB
- Hard Drive: 3GB
- Graphics: Radeon X1000/GF 6 - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work.
System requirements for Linux
- OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Mint 13 LTS, Fedora 16, fully updated
- Processor: 2.0Ghz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed.
- Memory: 2 GB
- Graphics: Radeon X1000/GeForce 6 - Integrated graphics and low budget cards might not work.
- Hard Drive: 3 GB
System requirements for macOS
- OS: Mac OS X 10.5.8 or newer
- Processor: 2.0Ghz
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Graphics: Radeon X1000/GeForce 6 (Integrated Intel Graphics not supported)
- Hard Drive: 2GB space free