The game that started the popular Far Cry series. The player assumes the role of Jack Carver, a former special forces operative who became a ferryman. The protagonist was hired by a journalist Valerie Constantine to escort her to a remote Pacific island. Soon after they arrived, the boat was attacked, and Valerie went missing. Now Carver is stranded on an archipelago covered by tropical rainforests, which are hiding an abandoned Japanese warship, a secret lab, and an active volcano. On a search for Valerie, he will fight a gang of mercenaries and discover the monstrous experiments that are carried out on this islands.
Carver eventually gains access to a variety of firearms. He’s also equipped with binoculars that allow him to see and even hear the enemies from far away. Stealth and detection are the central aspects of the Far Cry gameplay. The lush vegetation in the jungle offers perfect cover, so both Carver and his opponents can hide and sneak behind each other’s backs. The design and huge size of levels allow for a variety of routes and approaches to complete each mission, with use of stealth, surprise attacks, sniping, or another tactic of your choice.
- Supported OS: Windows® 2000/XP (only)
- Processor: AMD Athlon™ 1 GHz or Pentium® III 1 GHz
- Memory: 256 MB
- Graphics: 64 MB DirectX® 9.0b-compliant graphics card (see supported list*)
- Sound: DirectX 9.0b compliant PCI card (Sound Blaster Audigy series recommended)
- DirectX: DirectX 9.0b or higher
- Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
- Multiplay: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)
- Mouse/Keyboard: Windows compatible mouse and keyboard required
- Supported OS: Windows 2000/XP (only)
- Processor: AMD Athlon 2-3 GHz or Pentium 4 2-3 GHz
- Memory: 512-1024 MB
- Sound: Sound Blaster® Audigy® series (see supported list*)
- Graphics: 128 MB GeForce™ 4 128 MB to GeForce FX 5950; ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT
- *Supported video cards at time of retail release: NVIDIA GeForce 2/3/4/FX families ( NVIDIA based cards must have ForceWare drivers 53.03 or later; GeForce 2 and GeForce 4 MX cards do not support all graphics features). ATI Radeon 8500/9000 families (ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT recommended; ATI-based cards must have Catalyst drivers 3.9 or higher). Laptop models of the listed cards are not fully supported. For an up-to-date list of supported chipsets, video cards, and operating systems, please visit the FAQ for this game at: http://support.ubi.com.