DOOM 3 is a first-person shooter, the third installment in the series, serving as a reboot to the previous games.
As the game is set in a science fiction universe, the events span accordingly. The year is 2145, and the technological progress has allowed humanity to set up different facilities on Mars. After an experiment goes wrong, the research center becomes inhabited by demons. The player controls a nameless space marine, fighting off hordes of enemies through a variety of levels.
The playable character employs a large arsenal of weaponry for his cause, from common firearms to the series’s trademark BFG9000. Each level of the game is linear, as the player must often either retrieve information, some device or reach the checkpoint. However, there are numerous obstacles on the way to the objective: the protagonist has to fight off not only demons and their servants, but also combat the natural enemy in the form of darkness.
Graphics and music
The engine of the game incorporates lighting and shadowing, making every object in the game feel real and natural. The textures are designed to be unappealing, as a psychological tool to ensure the player’s urge to get rid of the enemies and escape the dark and ruined corridors, but at the same time, the level of detail in each location and each enemy is very high.
System requirements for PC
- OS: Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP (Does not support Windows Vista/7)
- Processor: Pentium®IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon® XP 1500+ processor or higher
- Memory: 384 MB RAM
- Graphics: 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the lateset drivers
- DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0b (included)
- Hard Drive: 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows® swap file)
- Sound: 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and the latest drivers
- Multiplayer Requirements: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported, Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers, LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers
- Supported Chipsets: ATI® RadeonTM 8500, ATI® RadeonTM 9000, ATI® RadeonTM 9200, ATI® RadeonTM 9500, ATI® RadeonTM 9600, ATI® RadeonTM 9700, ATI® RadeonTM 9800, all nVidia® GeForceTM 3/Ti series, all nVidia® GeForceTM 4MX series, all nVidia® GeForceTM 4/Ti series, all nVidia® GeForceTM FX series, nVidia® GeForceTM 6800*Important Note: Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D accelerator features utilized by Doom 3. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility. This product does not support Microsoft® Windows® 95/98/ME or NT.